Monday, February 16, Monteray Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program labeled marine-farmed Chinook Salmon from New Zealand a Best Choice for consumers. This is the first and only ocean-farmed salmon to be given a Best Choice, or Green, rating, which is the highest possible.
Pierless Fish is happy to announce that encompassed in this source is Ōra King Salmon, one of our products that is a premium, high-quality salmon raised by the New Zealand King Salmon Company in the South Island’s Marlborough Sounds. The species of Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) accounts for only half a percent of the world’s salmon population, being one that truly is king – a larger size, a richer flavor, and a higher fat content than other salmon species. The caretakers of Ōra King selectively breed the salmon for these traits, but also color, nutritional content, and overall quality, hand-selecting it to be the best culinary product possible.
In the wild, five kilograms of whole fish are needed to produce one kilogram of salmon. On the contrary, the salmon produced by the New Zealand King Salmon Company yields 1.4 kilograms of salmon to every 1 kilogram of fish protein used in the fish’s diet, all of which comes from sustainable fisheries that are scientifically managed. With a promise of sustainability and a business model to support it, Ōra King is a net producer of marine protein.
Ōra King Salmon is raised free of any chemicals or antibiotics at a site managed with stringent biosecurity measures both on a local and national level – the Marlborough Sounds. After initial development in spring-fed hatcheries, the smolt are carefully transferred to marine net pens in the Sounds. Only 2% of the pen space is fish biomass – the remaining 98% is flowing water, which ensures their health, taste, and quality as they mature to adults.
Seafood Watch has acknowledged the precision and devotion to the quality of these fish – a truly sustainable, traceable, and premium product without any negative effects to the environment, such as disrupting wild salmon populations or polluting local water. Meticulously designed to be a premium, year-round product, Ōra King Salmon now has the support of a globally renowned recommendation as a choice consumers can feel confident about purchasing and eating – not only a choice that is conscious of health, but also of the environment.